Come Summers, and the market is flooded with a variety of melons. Perhaps the most tantalizing view is one of a pile of water melons, with an artistically cut fruit, displaying its red flesh dotted with black seeds, perched atop the pile.
Water Melons or Tarbooz is a favorite summer fruit and has immense health benefits
- Watermelons, being rich in potassium, help keep salt from raising blood pressure and might diminish the risk of kidney stones also.
- It is said that watermelons strengthen the immune system and help the body in fighting off infection.
- Watermelon is a very concentrated source of the carotenoids, which have been credited with cancer-preventing properties.
- Consumption of water melons has been found to result in alleviation of some of the symptoms of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Watermelon is rich in some of the most important antioxidants and helps the body in neutralizing free radicals and thus, diminishes the risk of colon cancer.
- The antioxidants in watermelons help reduce the risk of heart attack in individuals.
- Watermelon is very low in calories, making it the perfect snack for those who are trying to lose weight.
- Watermelons have been associated with reducing the airway spasm that occurs in asthma.
- The beta carotene present in water melon helps keeps your vision sharp, especially at night.
- Watermelons have been linked with easing inflammation and preventing the occurrence of diabetes.
We also get an abundance of Musk Melons or Kharbooza
The melons come in a variety that can be enjoyed by all. The yellow colored
melon called Canary Melon or Sarda, is also available. now throughout the year in my fruit market.
An then there is the other variety called Cantaloupes
or 'Rock Melon'.
The benefits of melons are many:
- Muskmelon comprises of a significant amount of dietary fiber, making it good for those suffering form constipation.
- Since the fruit is not high in sugar or calories, it serves as a good snack for all those who are trying to lose weight and maintain a healthy body.
- The potassium present in muskmelons makes them quite helpful in the lowering of blood pressure.
- The fruit has been associated with regulating heart beat and, possibly, preventing strokes.
- Researches have suggested that muskmelons might reduce the risk of developing kidney stones and age-related bone loss.
- Being rich in Vitamin C, an antioxidant, the fruit has been believed to be good for preventing heart diseases, cancer and other chronic ailments.
- Muskmelons have been found to have sedative properties, making them beneficial for the people who are suffering from insomnia.
- The fruit has almost zero cholesterol and thus, is safe for the people who suffer from the problem of high blood cholesterol.
- Regular consumption of muskmelon juice can help treat lack of appetite, acidity, ulcer and urinary tract infections.
- Since it has high water content, the fruit can help reduce the heat in the body and thus, prevent heat-related disorders.
- The fruit proves to be a good source of vitamin A and thus, helps maintain healthy skin.
- The folic acid present in muskmelons helps create healthy fetuses (in pregnant women) and can even prevent cervical cancer and osteoporosis. It also serves as a mild antidepressant.
- If you are feeling too tired on a hot summer day, consume a muskmelon and you will find yourself refreshed and energized.
So beat the heat in Summers by eating a generous helping of assorted melons
and pave your way to Good Health.